Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Flirting for fun and profit

Yesterday (Tuesday) Jayson and I played soccer out at Meyer Park. Its the second time I've played since I've moved back home, and the second time I've done any physical activity since... Anyone? Anyone? Starts with ``can't,'' ends with ``remember.'' Anyone?

I think the only thing keeping me strong enough to lift ice cream to my mouth was my occasional use of my force feedback steering wheel.

So after we played soccer, and got cleaned up we went to Hooters (for the wings). Then we cruised down 1960 (cuz thats what ballers do). We ended up at Hurricane Hut because there was no cover (cuz thats what broke college guys look for).

Our waitress was an undergrad from Texas State studying Marketing---

Allow myself to interrupt myself... If you have seen me interact w/ people as I meet them, then you probably know that I have an undeniable urge to find out what they do, are interested in, etc. (I don't always ask, but often do.) To me it is an opportunity not to be missed. You never know who you are going to meet, what they know, and what you can learn from them. It's really something to take advantage of. (e.g. I once learned a lot of interesting stuff about lawsuits, including the famous McDonald's hot coffee case because I sat next to a lawyer on a plane.)

So, where was I? Ah yes, justifying my flirting with the waitress... Ok, so this waitress was studying Marketing. So I asked if she had heard of The Secrets of Word of Mouth Marketing or Purple Cow. She had not, so I started to talk a little bit about accelerating buyer decision and some of the principles of WOM.

Curiously, she seemed completely uninterested. It's not like she had a lot of other tables. There was basically a client to server ratio of about 3:1. So what is up with that?

At least for the sake of tips you should feign interest in what your customers are saying. I mean, flirting is good for business. I know if I was a server I would flirt my pants off. ---Well... not literally.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's think for a minute......okay girls in a place like that are thinking three things 1)they will flirt if A) They know you have money (meaning you are going to spend a lot of money on them or tip them off there good looks. B) They think your going to get them a free drink or C) They think you are so hot they have to sleep with you that night and give you a gift. A gift of VD I mean. Ahhh the gift that keeps on giving. No offense lady's it's just that kind of place. I mean what other place do you know of that's AKA The Slut Hut. And no its just not the women the guy are just as bad to. So basically I am shocked that you would expect anything less from this place other than a cheap hooker, a bar brawl, or to score some drugs! And P.S. if you want an intelligent conversation I wouldnt recommend going back to that place.

7/01/2004 1:45 AM  
Blogger Jacob Foshee said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7/01/2004 12:01 PM  
Blogger Jacob Foshee said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7/01/2004 12:01 PM  
Blogger Jacob Foshee said...

So, I guess I had the bar set a little too high.

Maybe I should have been clued in when our waitress was not able to explain how Southwest---er, i mean Texas State was not a party school. The best she could do was, ``Aren't all schools party schools, really?''

My next clue should have been when a guy at the table next to us poured out his entire beer onto the floor. Intentionally. Later, apparently having forgotten this, he slipped in it and almost fell.

7/01/2004 12:05 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

Jacob, come on seriously, you shouldnt try to pick up girls at bars anyway. Any girl you meet in a bar probably isnt going to be good enough for you. Most girls in bars arent very smart, wear too much makeup, and arent very smart. I know this because I dont hang out in bars (meaning i'm smart and i dont believe i wear too much makeup). Sure there is the occasional regular girl who is in a bar cause kyle said some guy named "izzy" is spinning and we all gotta come out and hear him, but I do not believe the regular bar going girls are your type.

anyway...

anonymous said: "from the guy that drove jacobs drunk ass home"

you told me i'm not allowed to drink cause it's bad, and here you are drinking without me. I cant believe you.

7/01/2004 8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One word comes to mind:

PATHETISAD

oh, its a word...and to prove it, read "Flirting For Fun and PROFIT" by Jacob Fosheeeeeeeeshy

Bret

7/02/2004 12:48 PM  
Blogger Jacob Foshee said...

Bret,
You and I both moved back in with our parents after finishing our masters degrees. Pathetisad doesn't begin to cover it.

7/02/2004 2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True, but I at least have one thing working in my favor...I'm TALL

-Bret

7/02/2004 3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jacob is tall where it counts....and girthy.
- a hot smart chick

7/12/2004 12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home