Saturday, August 14, 2004

At last the circle is complete...

I graduated from A&M today (i.e. Friday the 13th). I think that merits a blog post, however boring it turns out to be.

The problem is that I don't know what to write, and whenever people choose to speak up, but don't have a particular point in mind, much less a particular way to make it... Well, they ramble, and thats when you change the channel.

So, I better come up with a point quickly!

How about this:
Trials will come. Overcoming them is better than never having faced them.

I am reminded of a time (maybe before I was born) shortly after my parents were married. My parents were pretty poor. And, I don't just mean college-student-poor. I mean depending-on-God-for-everything-poor. One day they returned home to find they had been robbed. Most notably missing was my dad's Selmer Saxaphone. ---Not something that they could afford to replace.

Flash forward to today, more than 25 years later. My parents watch me cross the stage to receive my diploma for my MS... (I can hear my dad saying, ``Saxaphone? What saxaphone!? I don't remember a saxaphone.'')

What's the connection?

For my dad, a gifted musician, his sax was a source of pride and joy. And that was taken from him, years ago. And now, he finds in his children an entirely different source of pride and joy. Something that cannot be taken away, nor given a price.

Well... I did end up telling a good story. But, I didn't go the distance in making my point. But, that is what happens when you are rambling at 3 AM. I'll have to finish my point some other time. But, you might be wise to keep it in mind in the mean time.

Thanks to all of you who came to see me graduate! And thanks to those of you who congratulate me and celebrate with me! I am very grateful!

And, I am very sleepy!

Good night, dear blogfan.

7 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

Oh man, when I was in high school I always wanted a Selmer Saxophone. The kids at school used to make fun of my "Bundy" (that was the name of the company stamped on the bell).

But I always told my parents i was going to quit band so i never took private lessons or anything like that, so I never turned into a very good musician until my Junior year in high school and that's when my little brother started band and he needed a saxophone then too.

So what's they go out and do? they rented him a brand new yamaha. It was pretty good, except it was one of those beginner or intermediate level saxophones, but still it was better than my who know's how old and pretty beat up Bundy.

So anyway, my little brother decided he was going to play Bari Sax anyway so that means you get to rent it from the school because those are expensive, so he let me have his yamaha.

But it still wasnt the same as one of those pretty, nice sounding, non-rattleing, but super expensive Selmers.

8/15/2004 7:21 AM  
Blogger John said...

Congrats on earning your Masters!

Here's my point for the evening, a poem I just wrote, which structurally comes full circle:

A Journey

Life is but a journey,
A journey we all are on.
We are all at different places,
but our lives continue to go on.

Life is not to be wasted,
since one day we all will be gone.
We are on a journey,
a journey that is life.
--John Book

Now, it's time for my ramble. After all, that's what I do! I found your story to be very heartfelt, and you did make your point---to me, at least. Everything in life is about trials and the overcoming of them, and your poignant 'episode' (to use your term) did exactly that.

In my opinion, your story is about how something materially is lost, but, at the end, that lost item comes back as something worth much more than what was lost, something now with great potential for the future to come.

Just a few thoughts and reflections from a fellow late-night blogger.

8/15/2004 10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

<sniff>...My beloved office-mate is leaving me to move on to bigger and better things. By this, of course, I am referring to his parents' house.

Seriously, I'm proud/happy of/for you, my friend. Not in the same way that your parents are, to be sure, but I am honored to count you among my friends, and don't mind saying so. I'll miss your company, your wit, and those occasional moments of lucid honesty when we talk about the important things in life. McDonald's at 3 AM isn't quite the same without you. Ah well, there's always AIM.

How sad for me that I'm just now discovering your blog...

-JediRy (a.k.a. Ryan Saunders)

8/15/2004 11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the Learner. Now I am the Master."

Congrats, ol' pal, on beating me out of school not once but twice. ;)

-CDC

8/15/2004 11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rock on my friend. Rock on. I'm proud to know you, not for all you've done, but for all you are. You make everyone around you just that much better. :-)

-AMH '03

8/16/2004 9:32 PM  
Blogger Jacob Foshee said...

Wow! Thank you x 7!

Anyone who has a blog knows how uncommon it is to get such kind and thoughtful comments! This is a real treat! I am truly blessed.

Thanks to all of you for some wonderful times. And though this chapter in my life is closed and many great times are behind us, I expect much awesomeness in the chapter to come.

(I mean seriously, we all know that Anakin has to fight Obi-wan in this next chapter so it's got to be awesome.)

8/17/2004 11:26 AM  
Blogger Caleb Bell said...

Congratulations, Jacob! I'm sorry that I couldn't make it back in time to see you. You'd better come back and visit us!

8/17/2004 10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home