Tuesday, August 31, 2004

From Clear Lake to College Station

This past weekend, as is often the case, started on Thursday. I did not intend for it to start on Thursday, but once it got going, there was no stopping it until well into Sunday. But, I can't complain! It was an awesome ride and I got to get out of the house and visit a lot of friends. (Sometimes you gotta have a buffer zone.)

Thursday
I drove way down south to visit Devanshi, who works at NASA. (She is an ISS-OPS safety engineer for anyone that is curious.) Being the most financially responsible 24 year old you've ever met, she is currently house shopping. Since I currently spend most of my time in a house, I was happy to lend my expertise to the process. So, early that morning, we went and looked at a couple prospects.

Then, while she went to work, I decided to venture out on my own. Now, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to find your way around Clear Lake, Texas, but seeing as many of the residents are, it seems to help. I, a mere computer scientist, made a few miscalculations while finding my way around.

There was the one time I passed up my turn, did not realize it, and stopped at a railroad crossing to wait for a train to pass. In my blissful ignorance, I did not realize that my destination was behind me the whole time.

And then there was my trip to Chic-Fil-A. Once I spotted it, it only took me about 20 minutes to get there--- after crossing I-45 twice and driving through 4 parking lots.

Once Devanshi got off work, we met up with Super Neesie (a.k.a. Denise) and Bear (a.k.a. Alun) to look at more houses. I think I saw every house in the area, and may even be responsible for the police visiting one or two... (We didn't stick around to find out.)

After that we went to Olive Garden, and, as is typical, were seated away from any guests that might be disturbed by our shenanigans. A good time was had by all.

Before the day was out I had received phone calls from Mirko and Dan. Mirko would be defending his thesis Friday morning! Dan, not to be out done, let me know his birthday was this week, his band was playing Saturday night, and he would soon be leaving for Europe. What's an unemployed guy to do except take a road trip to College Station?

Friday
Despite the fact that my unobtrusive phone alarm did not wake me up Friday morning (rather than making any noise, it flashes the words "Alarm Clock" on the screen, and gives you the options "Off" or "Snooze"), I did wake up in time to be 15 minutes late to Mirko's defense.

Mirko did a great job fending off the attacks of faculty members. After some time he was granted the all-powerful, unenglyphicable committee signatures. Congratulations! Turbo Baby! and Long Live the Walrus!

Afterwards, I joined Mirko, Ryan, Neal, Christian and Stephanie for fried goodies at Wings `N More.

That night Mirko, Bethany and I headed over to Forrest's apartment to remind ourselves of what the college party scene was like. While some things never change, the company and surprising variety of beverages made it a worthwhile trip.

Barbra and I exchanged our usual warm greeting of a hand-shake and a smile. I also finally met Forrest and Arianna face to face! And Benjamin (the latter half of Danjiman) too! Rachel was also there, and she reminded me that when I first met her she was feeding Barbra an apple... Aah, such tantalizing memories...

Dan and Lindsey each arrived later. My presence was a surprise to Lindsey, however she handled it with the grace that I have come to expect from her. Dan and I finally got to make out... And by "make out", I of course mean "talk". aitykwimbt...

Naturally the three of us were fashionably late to the party. We also left fashionably early, partly because if Bethany had to endure any more scott/irish/drinking jokes from drinking-joke-guy, I think she would have thrown him out the window. (I've seen her do it.)

Actually, we had told Christian we would catch up with him later, and I felt it was also my duty to give my sister a tour of Northgate. So we left the party and met Christian on Northside. We hopped from bar brawl to bar brawl taking in the enchanting sights, sounds, odors, and mini skirts.

We capped off our night at The Corner. After some people cleared out, and we had some room to shake our bon bons, Mirko and I breathed some life into that place. The highlight came when Mirko requested some Modest Mouse, and the girl who had been making out with her beau in the corner all night, came over to dance with us. That guy wasn't too happy about it, but we found it hilarious.

Saturday
The promise of many unique musical acts brought us to Revolutions in Bryan on Saturday night. I went primarily to see Barbra and Space Camp Dan. But, I enjoyed the other 5 acts as well.

First there was the love-lorn Chris. He loved, he lost, he strummed.

Next up was Sophie. While she had a modest style, and was only performing publicly for the second time, she had an enjoyable groove.

The third act was Wes and Blond Guy. They played guitars, and did a unique rendition of This Little Light of Mine. They also played some Christian music similar to Shane Bernard's stuff (at least that's what Ryan told me).

Finally, right at the peak of my anticipation, Barbra went on! (If I would have had to wait any longer I might have done something drastic...) She did two Joni Mitchell songs. She played keyboard with the first. But, more impressive was her a capela performance of A Case of You. Nice job, Bobbi!

After Barbra refused to do any encores, Red Tape performed. I missed most of their set because I was getting a sandwich and meeting the Revolutions regulars (shout out to Drake, Willie D and Jesse).

Finally Space Camp Dan came on! They started off with some standard punk numbers, and their energy steadily increased. It wasn't long before Mirko was "feeling it." Those guys have a lot of talent! Go listen! And buy a t-shirt! (And tell them to update their website.)

After that, Bethany's cries for Jazz were finally appeased. We did a little listening and got a little funky.

Ryan, Mirko and Bethany called it a night. And Barbra, Lindsey, Dan, Benjamin, Arianna, Rachel, et al. went to the hang-out in Bryan: Whataburger. (I think they did some partying after that, but I had promised Gracie I would join the LNMC (Late Night Movie Club).)

So I met up with Gracie and some of her homies to watch the late night showing of Hero!

The movie was not what I expected since the American commercials made it look like an action flick. However I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you enjoyed Crouching Tiger, I suggest Hero. Every scene looked like a moving painting. Beautiful use of color.

Sunday
Some of my TAGD buddies wouldn't let me leave town without spending some quality time with them, so I happily obliged! I met up with Kyle, Cassie, Kristen, Greg and Luke for lunch at Jin's!

Finally, Gracie came by Bethany's apartment to give me the SIGGRAPH stuff she picked up for me! Thanks, AG!

After I drove through a sea of lovebugs, my weekend finally came to an end.

Thanks to everyone for a fun weekend! Good music! Great company!
(-=

2 Comments:

Blogger Caleb Bell said...

No TAGD buddies of mine invited me to Jin's. Hrmph! Sounds like a great weekend :)

9/01/2004 8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, i know that tori amos is not as cool to write about as modest mouse, but we certainly had a great time listening to her while "being red" (in a very non-leftist sense) on Friday afternoon.

thanks for coming to my defense. and thanks for taking all those pictures. oh, speaking of pictures... you know the curse, better spit them out!

awesome weekend, no doubt. hm, you coming this friday?

mirko

9/01/2004 12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home